Manager, Market Operations
Job Title: Manager, Market Operations
Department: Market Operations
Reports to: VP of Market Operations
Direct Reports: 2
Date Posted: April 2023
Location: Houston, TX or remote
This is a full-time, exempt position that will be reporting to the VP of Market Operations. This individual will be responsible for managing battery energy storage system dispatch across the Key Capture Energy fleet and serve as both a product owner and senior developer for KCE’s automated day-ahead and real-time bidding software, which is currently operational in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (“ERCOT”) market and is expanding into other ISOs.
• Strategize day-to-day day ahead and real time power market operations and plan software or algorithmic improvements to maximize short- and long-term profits.
• Lead team of analysts to ensure accuracy of software business logic and incorporate new trading strategies.
• Ensure training, development, and job satisfaction of direct reports.
• Develop and apply procedures for minimizing regulatory and financial risk in real time operations.
• Review and incorporate relevant market policies, rules, and other qualitative factors into automatic bidding systems.
• Coordinate closely with software development team to improve software robustness and maintain reliability.
• Collaborate with Nodal Analytics/Transmission team to incorporate price forecasts into bidding algorithms.
• All other duties as required.
Work Experience & Requirements:
• 5+ years of energy industry or analytical experience.
• Strong understanding of energy markets structures and value streams, including energy, capacity, and ancillary services; experience specifically in the New York Independent System Operator (“NYISO”) or ERCOT territories a plus.
• Experience programming in Python or other mathematical programming languages.
• Strong analytical capabilities.
• Proven ability to lead and mentor.
• Bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as mathematics, computer science, or economics
• Experience with mathematical optimization a plus.
• Experience with power price forecasting a plus.
• Ability to work in Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
• Ability to work in a small team.
• Strong organizational and time-management skills.
• Prolonged periods of working at a desk and on a computer